Consulting offers me the chance to help our clients comply with the rules, regulations and laws. Consulting also offers me the opportunity to compare the practices of our clients and stay engaged with new and important issues.
Jeffrey Hiller is an industry professional with over 25 years of experience, specializing in Investment Advisor services. Prior to joining Oyster, Jeffrey was Chief Compliance Officer and Managing Director of Principal Global Investors, where he created and managed the firm’s global compliance program. In his capacity as CCO, he provided global leadership and direction on regulatory compliance and ethical business practices for all the firm’s business domestically, internationally and its seven boutique investment advisers. Jeffrey began his compliance career as Senior Counsel in the Securities and Exchange Commission’s Division of Enforcement in Washington, D.C. Following his government service, he held CCO roles with several leading Wall Street financial firms.
- Served as Chief Compliance Officer and Global Head of Compliance for large asset managers and registered investment companies
- Oversaw compliance programs for registered and unregistered funds, separately managed accounts, real estate, private equity and other alternative products
- Managed limited broker-dealers, including inspections of branch offices and other functional units
- Created and implemented Code of Ethics policies, procedures and monitoring of personal trading
- Responsible for compliance of all U.S. and overseas offices, administration and operation of compliance programs consistent with the SEC’s rules under the Investment Advisers Act of 1940 and the Investment Company Act of 1940, and compliance with foreign laws such as MiFID, among others
- Managed global compliance programs in Hong Kong, Beijing, Singapore, Tokyo, Sydney, London among other international offices
- Hands-on compliance of trading activities, portfolio guideline and restriction monitoring, valuation and pricing, soft dollars, information barriers, trade allocation, broker selection, trade errors and corrections, regulatory filings, privacy, proxy voting, anti-money laundering, licensing and registration, continuing education, personal trading, disclosure policies, complaints and new product development
- Created, designed and implemented forensic tests consistent with Rule 38a-1 of the investment company Act and Rule 206(4)-7 of the Investment Advisers Act
- Managed more than 20 SEC examinations, all with positive results
- Responded to federal, state and international regulatory bodies and self-regulatory organizations
- Conducted training on various compliance topics
- Provide expert witness testimony in arbitrations, and civil and administrative proceedings regarding the Investment Advisers Act.
- CCO, Global Head of Compliance and Managing Director, Principal Global Investors
- CCO (Americas), Merrill Lynch Investment Managers/Black Rock
- Managing Director and Global Director of Compliance, Morgan Stanley Investment Management
- Managing Director and Global Director of Compliance, Citigroup Asset Management
- CCO, Soros Fund Management
- Vice President and CCO, Prudential Investments – Global Asset Management
- United States Securities and Exchange Commission, Senior Counsel, Division of Enforcement