My diverse experience allows me to resolve my clients’ challenges while considering the impact of recommendations across their organizations.
Leonard Derus is a seasoned financial services professional with over 20 years of experience in Compliance and Risk Management, Control Process Development and Implementation, as well as Program Development, Management and Training. Leonard’s leadership roles at FINRA allow him to provide Oyster’s clients a strong regulatory and operations perspective in risk analysis, examination of firms and individuals regarding equity, mutual fund, private placement and annuity products, trading activity, all aspects of the sales process, and supervision of broker dealer activities.
- Led large, geographically diverse teams to execute special sweep examinations focusing on emerging regulatory issues in the securities industry.
- Developed review methodologies for new or novel issues being reviewed, trained managers and staff regarding the topic and review process.
- Managed development of sound examination and operational procedures for various departments, including examinations, surveillance, and support teams.
- Guided implementation of Governance, Risk, and Compliance (GRC) tools, as well as regulatory change systems, increasing automation of processes and improving workflow tracking.
- Conducted governance analysis of a company-wide programs focused on identifying areas for improvement in operations, communications, and reporting.
- Completed gap analysis between rules and examination procedures, eliminating risk of not meeting contractual obligations.
- Analyzed contractual obligations, ensuring proper reporting, quality service, and open communication with clients.
- Guided development and implementation of new programs.
- Led development of playbooks focused on response to unique or high-profile issues, improving organizational preparedness, response development and execution. Ensured the playbook development was repeatable so all departments could build playbooks useful for specific needs.
- Managed cross-departmental annual planning process, identifying and classifying risks associated with broker-dealer activities.
- Director, Member Supervision – FINRA
- Senior Compliance Examiner – FINRA (Formerly NASD)
- Director of Examinations – National Stock Exchange
- Compliance Assurance Consultant – Northwestern Mutual
- Foreign Currency Exchange Consultant – Ruesch International