Shannan brings a wealth of experience and expertise to the Oyster team. Shannan has held leadership roles in the following areas within the financial services industry; application development, product management, relationship management, and business analyses. With over a decade of experience as a senior member of the Wachovia Securities team, Shannan participated and managed the full development cycle of compliance products which included on-line dispute resolution, monitoring trade activity, oversight of registrations, and branch management applications. The leadership and management that Shannan provided in overseeing such critical applications have been consistently chosen as the system of choice through multiple mergers and acquisitions, and has also provided Shannan expertise with data conversions, integrations, and consolidation of business processes, workflows, rules, users, and applications.
- Collaborated with Oyster colleagues in a comprehensive review of the SEC Rule 15c3-5 Program of a prominent broker-dealer. Analysis included a review of the Firm’s policies and procedures, trading platforms and other technologies designed to comply with the Rule.
- Coordinated a regional branch offices examination project for a large brokerage firm which consisted of sixty one branches. The effort was completed within the estimated month and half time frame and under budget.
- Managed 16 discrete projects for a brokerage firm responding to an SEC exam finding. The subject matter consisted of but not limited to; revamping of policy of procedures and oversight of managed accounts, mutual fund fees, holdings, commission, billing, advertising, as of trading, and code of ethics.
- Identified and documented requirements for new branch audit software application for a mid-size brokerage firm.
- Eliminated redundant processes and systems by integrating three business channels and an external firm into one trade monitoring system, resulting in a brokerage platform that processed over 7 million in gross trades nightly
- Managed the development of system enhancements, user relationships across multiple business channels, and lead a 24/7 production support team within a deadline driven environment
- Managed the full cycle of development for a business critical online dispute resolution application that saved the firm from regulatory fines
- Served as primary escalation point for technology needs
- Participated in the determination of the cost and return on investment for critical technology projects while also determining scope and priority for such projects
- Vice President, Product and Project Manager, Wachovia Securities
- Project Manager and Business Analyst, First Union
- Relationship Manager and Business Analyst, Everen Securities
Education, Accolades and Industry Commitments
- B.A. in Business, University of Illinois, Champaign, IL – Dean’s List (all semesters), High Honors Graduate
- International Studies, Business, Institute of European Studies, Denmark
- PMP (Project Management Professional Program) Certification
Articles, Blogs and Presentations
“Best Practices for Selecting Governance Risk and Compliance Software” – Shannan Layette, Pete McAteer, Buddy Doyle – Practical Compliance & Risk Management for the Securities Industry – Wolters Kluwer