Michael Segal has 30 years of experience in the financial services industry. Michael specializes in trading and risk management, transition and vendor management and strategic and tactical planning for the following business lines: capital markets/wealth management, broker-dealers, RIAs, technology systems and service providers and clearing & custodian firms. His leadership and team-building skills, along with a strong focus on implementing processes result in increased revenue, productivity and profit margins. Michael is a thought leader in electronic fixed income trading and a strong advocate for utilizing emerging technologies to promote operational efficiencies and increased market transparency.
Top Fintech Company, Acquisition: Head of combined entity: Strategic Planning, Transition Management & Implementation
- Business Lead that partnered with project managers responsible for multiple work streams in the integration of acquired entity and platforms. Accountable for creating and implementing the business requirements on project approaches, plans, governance and recommendations.
- Effectively completed the system integrations of the acquired entity by working with both internal and third- party partners to deliver high quality, competitive executions.
- Managed all day-to-day aspects of the Alternative Trading System (ATS), Middle Markets division, and ATS Trade Support group. Approx. 225 market makers and 75,000 advisors utilized the platform.
- Drove market share growth of securities executed on the ATS by realigning client costs, providing enhanced functionality and increased participation of new and existing clients, achieving 1 in 5 muni trades and 1 in 7 taxable executions based upon MSRB and TRACE Reported Trades.
- Established FIX connectivity to clearing firms, custodians and third-party OMS providers, which enabled STP and trade allocations for clients.
- Responsible for compliance with all FINRA and MSRB rules, regulations and audits.
Top Regional Broker-Dealer, Head of Capital Markets Group: Digital/Client Execution
- Created Capital Markets Group to implement a risk-based operation that provided new issue and secondary fixed income cash securities to 85 IDB (30,000) advisors and RIA’s (3000).
- Provided program management support while working closely with the Chief Technology Officer and Operations Department Head, and their direct reports on program implementations, resolution of issues, and risk mitigation. Partnered with development teams to provide best execution and compliant solutions by ensuring all processes were adhered to and proprietary information protected.
- Launched a live and dynamic electronic trading platform that provided access to aggregated markets, best execution and adherence to compliant regulatory solutions to thousands of advisors.
- Created an Underwriting Department that enabled Asset Manager to participate in syndicates as an Underwriter or Selling Group Member for new issue Preferreds, Municipal Bonds and Certificate of Deposits.
- Managed STP for all fixed income trading through multiple clearing firms/custodians and provided middle office support and daily net capital calculations.
Top 5 U.S. Bank, Acquisition: Implementation of new platform and decommission of old
- Top bulge bracket firm acquired regional bank and sought to integrate sales forces (7,000 reps) and technology platforms; provided program management support while working closely with the Chief Technology Officer, Business & Operations Department Heads, and their direct reports on program implementations, issue resolution and risk mitigation.
- Joined with development teams to provide best execution, straight thru processing and compliant solutions by ensuring all processes were adhered to and proprietary information protected.
- Partnered with technology department to enhance capabilities, scalability and distribution.
- Acting member of Asset Manager’s Compliance committee and lead negotiator for all fixed Income vendor contracts.
- Managing Director, Tradeweb Direct, LLC
- Executive VP, Head of Capital Markets Group, Advisors Asset Management (AAM) Inc.
- VP, Director of Fixed Income Investments & Government Agency Trader, Banc of America Securities
- VP, Director Fixed Income Investments, Quick, Reilly Group inc., a FleetBoston Financial Co.
Education, Accolades and Affiliations
- B.S., Finance and Marketing, Ithaca College
- FINRA Series 7, 24, 63, 53 (Active and in Good Standing) and 55 (in Good Standing)
- Series 3 & Life & Health Insurance – Expired
- Dale Carnegie Public Speaking
- Founding Member of The Bond Club of Charlotte
- St. Jude Children’s Hospital Charlotte Chapter Board Member