Cheryl-Ann is a professional with over 25 years of experience in financial services, professional firms and utilities. Specializing in legal, governance, risk and compliance services, Cheryl-Ann’s experience includes development of corporate compliance frameworks, implementing a compliance culture, and streamlining corporate processes. She has served as a trusted advisor to her Executive team and Board of Directors, and is recognized as a decisive thought leader and key business partner with exceptional communication skills.
- Served as outsourced compliance officer.
- Acted as liaison with the Bermuda Monetary Authority for financial services remediation projects. Successfully implemented compliance regimes that received favorable ratings from the Authority during on-site regulatory visits. Conducted remediation of non-compliant entities to the satisfaction of the Authority’s review teams.
- Development of compliance policies and procedures, including Anti-Bribery Personal Information Privacy, corporate governance, AML/ATF.
- Drafted and designed framework for compliance programs including independent monitoring and testing of compliance regimes and prepared gap analysis and risk assessments for licensed entities.
- Developed and led staff training on regulatory compliance, AML/ATF and risk program to ensure positive reinforcement and awareness of corporate policies and procedures;
- Provided sound, well-reasoned and strategic legal advice in a concise manner to the Board of Directors and Executive management.
- Reviewed and structured Corporate Governance policies within a corporate entity.
- Identified the impact of legislative initiatives on business operations and worked with business leaders as a strategic business partner to mitigate risks.
- Developed a corporate compliance framework for monitoring legal regulatory requirements; formed strategic partnerships with business leaders to implement a compliance culture within the group.
- Drafted and reviewed various commercial contracts, non-disclosure agreements, employment, intercompany and service contracts.
- Streamlined corporate processes by creating a precedent database and playbook; enhancing record keeping procedures and documentation of standardized correspondence for corporate filings to regulators.
- Collaborated with technical teams to provide responses to sectoral consultation papers, preparation for regulatory meetings and vetted stakeholder engagement correspondence.
- Provided strategic support to the Chief Executive Officer and colleagues on the Executive team in the delivery of key initiatives to the Board of Directors in furtherance of the company’s strategic plan.
- Senior Consultant, Island Legal Outsourcing Solutions
- General Counsel & Corporate Secretary, Ascendant Group Limited
- Independent Compliance Consultant, C.A.M.S. Ltd.
- Compliance Manager, Appleby
- Senior Legal Counsel & Corporate Secretary, Bermuda Monetary Authority
- Assistant Vice President, Butterfield Trust (Bermuda) Ltd.
Education, Accolades and Affiliations
- Wharton Women’s Executive Leadership program
- Institute of Directors, Diploma in Company Direction
- University of Idaho, Utility Executive Course
- Diploma in International Trust Management Society of Trust and Estates Practitioners
- Degree of Utter Barrister Inns of Court School of Law, London
- (Hons.) University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
- Member of the Bermuda Bar Association
- Member Institute of Directors
- Director – Financial Intelligence Agency Board
- Chair – Bermuda Casino Gaming Commission
- Chair – Permanent Disputes Tribunal
- Member – Caribbean Regional Compliance Association Conference Committee
- Member – International Compliance Association
- Past President – Association of Bermuda Compliance Officers
- Past Secretary – Society of Trust and Estates Practitioners, Bermuda Branch