Need an Expert Witness? Here’s What to Look For
Selecting the right expert witness can affect the duration and outcome of your case. In addition to providing testimony, expert witnesses can help you evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of a case before it ever goes to trial, review deposition testimony of fact witnesses, account statements, client agreements and procedures, and provide rebuttal reports.
Attributes of an Expert Witness
An expert witness must have knowledge, skill, experience, training, or education that can help the trier of fact to understand the evidence or to determine a fact in issue. With that said, below are some specific attributes that Oyster looks for when selecting consultants for our Expert Witness & Litigation Support practice group:
- Competency – being a subject matter expert
- Credibility – having the ability to recognize nuances, understand the strengths and weaknesses of a case and present opinions in a credible manner
- Preparation – understanding the work that must be undertaken to adequately prepare for the job at hand
- Level headed – having the ability to remain calm under pressure
- Timeliness – having the ability to meet deadlines
- Integrity – having the ability to operate in an honest, straight forward manner
- Communication skills – it is essential to have excellent verbal and written communication skills
How Oyster Can Help
Oyster Consulting, LLC (Oyster) provides a broad array of consulting services to financial services firms including audit, compliance, operations, technology, trading and strategic management consulting. What may not be as well-known on Oyster’s menu of services are the Expert Witness and Litigation Support Services provided by our core team of former regulators, industry professionals and attorneys. Because these Oyster professionals come from a variety of backgrounds and are still involved as industry practitioners, their knowledge and expertise is valued by adjudicators, who rely on their experience and their ability to provide clarity on a range of complex matters.
- Testimony as an Expert Witness
- Expert Review and analysis of claims and defenses
- Litigation support, evidence review and testimony preparation
- Subject matter expertise in all matters related to broker-dealers and investment advisors, futures and derivatives
Oyster Consulting has the knowledge and experience to provide effective expert witness testimony and litigation support. To learn more about our service offerings in this area, complete our contact form and our Relationship Managers will be happy to assist you.
About the Author: Oyster Senior Consultant Bob Tuch has over 25 years of experience in the financial services industry. He has served as in-house counsel for Nationwide Financial Services, Inc., an affiliate of Nationwide Insurance Company, and BISYS Fund Services, a mutual fund administrator and product distributor. At Nationwide, he managed a practice group that supported Nationwide-affiliated broker-dealers and provided legal support for Nationwide insurance agents. At BISYS, he provided legal support for BISYS mutual fund clients, including the preparation and review of mutual fund registration statements, the review of advertising and sales literature and the preparation of board meeting agendas, resolutions and minutes. Prior to serving in these in-house counsel roles, Bob held the position of Attorney Adviser in the Investment Management Division of the SEC.